I’ve been a fan of Unfuck Your Habitat for years. It provides excellent suggestions and motivations to keep your house in order, including posting a to-do list every day as a reminder.
I personally mastered making my bed and putting all my dishes away a long time ago, but I followed the blog and downloaded the app anyway. I like when people share pictures of organizing their home. Progress always makes me happy!
It also gave me a great idea for a fabulous list with links to past posts on MAG where I addressed these very tips!
How To Unfuck Your Finances
- Make a master calendar of all bill due dates. Never be late with a payment again.
- Get a no-fee chequing account.
- Open your bills (you cannot live in denial forever) and add up all your debt.
- Tally up all essential and non-essential expenses. Did you know it costs this much to live? DID YOU?
- Create a budget. Don’t know where to start? Try this.
- Negotiate a cheaper cable package or phone bill. You can pay less just by asking.
- Open a high-interest savings account. Put some money in it.
- Make a plan to become consumer debt free in 3 years or less.
- Double your monthly student loan payment. Not feeling the pinch? Double it again.
- Stop carrying a balance on your credit card.
- Set a financial goal. Save 20% for a down-payment on a home? Save 3 months worth of expenses in an Emergency Fund? It’s your dream, friend.
- Make the transfer of money to your savings account automatic. Schedule it the same day as payday.
- Stop buying so much crap you don’t need.
- Don’t buy so many clothes.
- Start a side hustle.
- Give investing a go.
- Start saving for retirement. Should you use a TFSA or an RRSP?
- Don’t rely on a partner for financial security.
- Sell something you don’t use anymore.
- Spend your money on experiences, not stuff.
- Ask for a raise at work.
- Choose a credit card with decent rewards, like cash back.
- Plan your spending.
- Keep important receipts and financial documents in a safe place.
- Learn how to file your own taxes.
- Check your credit report.
Readers, what would you add to this list?
This is a great post! Love the title and all the helpful tips. I think it’s a nice how to post that’s easy and not boring!
Dig the title :).
I love Unfuck your Habitat! Props for the reference and great list 🙂
loved this list! I’m working on a big saving goal; a 15% downpayment for an apartment. It’s tough, but it will be worth it when Bf and I get our very own place! 🙂