My Alberta Student Loan video!

19 Comments

Back in February I filmed the following short video for the Government of Alberta about my student loan debt. People are usually pretty surprised to find how positively I feel about student loans given my sincere efforts to get rid of them, but the reality is I wouldn’t be making the income I am if I hadn’t gotten the degree I did with the student loan money I borrowed ;)

Full disclosure: I loathe seeing myself on camera and I am filled with nothing but self-consciousnessness and certainty that I look awful so please be kind haha. I’m slowly getting used to having my photo taken for publicity in my writing, but not sure if I’ll ever be totally “ok” with it.

Anyway, hope you enjoy!

19 Comments

1. VERY cool Bridget! You have no need to feel self conscious about yourself on the video, you look fine :)

2. Wow, that’s awesome! Do you know what kind of reach this video is going to have? Are they just going to put it on their website, or will it be televised?

• Bridget (Author)

I’m not sure. I’m cool with it staying web based or going on TV (and signed my OK for both haha) so we’ll see!

3. Veronica @ Pelican on Money

Wow that’s cool, you were in a video for the government! May I say you seem very confident talking. How many takes did it take? :) Nah, jk, probably just one.

• Bridget (Author)

haha public speaking is a HUGE part of my full-time job so I’m pretty comfortable with it. It didn’t actually take that many retakes ;) I’m pretty chatty, they just edited out the long rambling parts

4. So cool to be featured by your gov’t! I agree with you about the investment in your self…it’s the best one you can make. I still try to do mine as cheaply as possible via grants and scholarships, but sometimes loans are necessary. I know what you mean…I hate seeing myself on camera! But you don’t have anything to worry about. :)

5. C The Writer

This video is great.

You shouldn’t be self-conscious. I wouldn’t ever be brave enough to do something like this myself.

6. I think you look great!

7. SP

Aug, this is so great! it is fun seeing you on video after reading your blog for so long! Congrats!

8. You are a great public speaker.

9. SWR

That is a really great video. You do appear really confident speaking. Was that scripted at all, or all off the cuff?

And are we getting a little tour of your apartment as well? :)

10. Great video with some great lines and tips too.

11. In the contrary to what you wrote – I really like the video. Keep it up.

12. Great video, don’t be self-conscious about it, you did awesome! also love your couch :)

13. Love it!! I’m so happy for you.

It’s funny how they have so many clips of you putting away dishes. As if to say “What is it you do more now that you’re a responsible grown-up?…a lot of dishes.”